Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Week Driven by Impulses!

O wow, this past week has been amazing!  So I decided to change my perspective of life just a tad bit.  After weeks of just stressing over work, finding a more appropriate job, transferring, cooperating with the family back home, and the general wear and tears of life I briefly decided to turn all this around and just celebrate life.  I am alive, meaning I still have the opportunity to change anything around me, the people I love are alive and the opportunities to accomplish various forms of happiness are right in front of us so I just decided to take advantage of them!
That said, nothing I've done was planned everything was random and done because of spontaneous impulses, which is a new way I want to continue enjoying life.  To briefly go over what has been making life so exciting lately, it has been a mixture of being around friends and being adventurous.  Friday was the night I was suppose to go out with friends and Saturday was designated as the day of rest, Sunday day of shopping, and Monday was suppose to be the day of studying for midterms.  However, nothing happened as planned!  Friday Ricky was too scared to walk to the store with me to purchase some party treats which lead to us scraping all plans of going out.  Which ended up being ok because when I met Kivvy at Dupont Circle (D.C.'s gay district allegedly, for White people at least) we got kidnapped by another one of our friends that night in a mini-van similar to the ones those Mexicans drive their families in.  Don't panic!  I'm not racist against Mexicans lol... just being racially humorous, which is one of the few benefits of being a minority.  Anyways, so yessssss of course I was making fun of this friend for picking us up in a minivan, I mean he coul
d of at least grabbed the keys to the Ford Explorer I love so much, don't ya think!  :)  Anyways, so the night ended with just chilling at his house tell God knows what time in the morning or basically until he overcame his laziness and felt like taking us back to Howard.  I know I'm being harsh on him right now lol but he doesn't even read this so I'll live, love him tons anyways lol.

But that's not how the night ends...because of my new philosophy on celebrating life I'm attempting to become more social by meeting and getting to substantially know more people.  Therefore, when I got dropped off at Howard a new potential friend hit me up, through text messaging of course (the best way to contact me), and around 3 o'clock in the morning walked all around D.C. exploring dark rat infested parks and eating some ok food at this local 24 hour restaurant called
 The Diner.  After exploring D.C.'s innocent night life with this new potential friend I finally made it back to my room at around 6 a.m.!

Granted I did not wake up tell around 2p.m. the following afternoon.  When I finally fully opened my eyes beyond what is needed to respond to text messages while half asleep I woke up to a vibrant sunny day forcing it's way through my blinds, giving me the feeling that I was in a tanning salon.  I did absolutely nothing really but caught up on my ABC shows, got a much needed haircut, and enjoyed the alone time at least until the sun goes down and the debauchery begins, lol.  I will refrain from 
going into the explicit details of Saturday's exciting night, that left me in a mixture of supreme happiness/satisfaction and disappointment.  In summary Ricky, Kivvy, and I got together with a friend we call Little Munchkin...that's all ya gettin' folks!

Sunday morning was definitely an interesting day with the simple fact that I woke up asking myself "is it appropriate for me to go to church right now?"  Well, i decided that it wasn't appropriate so I didn't go and from what I'm told I missed out on meeting Rev. Jeremiah Wright, that infamous pastor Senator Obama would prefer for us all to forget about, in addition to a truly blessed service.  But that's ok.  Instead of church I decided to once again enjoy the sunshine and take a walk throughout D.C..  Originally, I was looking for real food, nothing fast food or anything close to McDonalds, but this lead to me suddenly wanting to see the White House (which I still have yet to see).  Of course I get lost in the process, even though everyone I asked kept telling me the White House was behind this bush but I kept loo
king behind the bush and didn't see no White House...just a ton of secret service...like everywhere.  After about an hour of walking around a bush I got over seeing the White House and decided to see a movie instead, yes by myself, no shame in that!  I saw Body of Lies, with the Titanic dude in it.  I don't recommend the movie, I think I yawned like 12 times throughout the two hours I spent in there.  Sunday ended with me meeting up with Kivvy again at Dupont when he got off work and us experiencing literally the worse slice of Pizza we hav
ever seen or tasted in our lives....
  Kivvy claims it was Ethiopian pizza, I don't know what it was, but it was a mess for sure... we literally couldn't stop laughing at how horrible this pizza was while sitting in the booths trying to figure out the best way to discard it without the cooks noticing.  We thought about giving the pizza to a homeless person but we thought they're lives are bad enough for us to be adding more dreadfulness!

Monday was funny as hell!  Mostly because it was Columbus Day and Howard was shut down in respect of the national holiday.  But of course I didn't know this until after walking to the cafeteria and seeing it closed!  Even then I was confused until after I text Kivvy asking him why the campus was so empty and the cafeteria closed...to get a text message consisting of him laughing at me while explaining that we didn't have classes for the day.  So of course I took this as an opportunity to do some much needed and desired shopping!  I dragged Kivvy along with me because I knew that if he didn't like what I purchased it would be hell to pay lol.  But this was a mistake... it is never a good idea for two compulsive shop-a-holics to go shopping together!  We literally went into every store in that damn mall that sold male clothes, I was loving every minute of it!  My debit card on the other hand didn't like it so much but it's ok!  We ended this glorious brief shopping spree with getting another ear piercing together, in the same identical spot, which is appropriate since we were being confused as brothers.

Throughout this weekend something weird yet exciting has been happening.  I've been reflecting, listening to advice from Kivvy and Anu, and I feel like I'm finally growing up.  I'm finally recognizing my life, with blessings from God, is in my own hands and it's up to me what direction I will take my life.  Coming to this epiphany I think I'm finally starting to take charge of my life and no longer simply be a reaction to my surroundings and environment, it's time to become a presence.  I want to continue to celebrate this life we live in as a way of recognizing the many blessings we're experiencing, the many opportunities that are before us, the many relationships and institutions that are awaiting our presence.  This allows me to reflect happily about yesterday, be driven and appreciative of what happens today, and excited about tomorrow!  Was this weird for you to read?  It was refreshing for me to write this...I feel like I just found a way to verbalize how I've been feeling these past few days.

P.S.  Howard's Homecoming is this weekend!  Be prepared for what I'm sure to be at least interesting posts ahead lol.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well my comment is for you "About Me" description, I really really impressed. Very substantial and deeply profound guy. God Bless