Sunday, September 21, 2008

Introduction to my D.C. (Howard) Friends

Okay, I've realized when talking to Anu (my soul mate) that it's hard keeping up with the important people that are part of my Howard life. And one of the goals of this blog is to keep everyone updated and somewhat included on what's going on therefore you need to know my best friends are here, lol.

When I first came to Howard exactly one year ago it was very scary for me. I didn't really know how to socialize, you know us Reedies aren't really gifted with that lol, but I met these two girls randomly at one of the orientation luncheons; and this is back when I was trying to come off as straight, notice I said TRIED lol, so I was very cautious with how I interacted with them. However Desiree Spencer (right) and Phylicia Edwards (left) were still extremely friendly and definitely contributed to making me feel comfortable at Howard. If it wasn't for these two girls I probably wouldn't have given Howard the chance and ran back to Reed within the first couple of days, lol. Even though I am not as close to them as I would like to be today we still are friends and my day instantly brightens up whenever I see them.

Now if y'all think I'm a socialite or "social butterfly" as so many at Reed put it, my best friend Kivon Allen (infamously known as Kivvy) definitely make me seem like a recluse in comparison. When I first met Kivvy I honestly wanted to stay as far away from him as possible. I guess I had all these prejudices and misconceptions of masculinity. Also, I believe I was scared, Kivvy is so bold and out there and at the time as I've stated earlier I was cautious, because I know how judgemental Blacks can be. Kivvy has opened my eyes to so much about being whoever we are with no shame. There are very few people that make me question my fundamental beliefs and Kivvy was one of them. He helped disable my formerly cemented prejudices against myself and my own "masculinity" (if that makes sense). Being friends with Kivvy definitely has its challenges, such as constantly feeling under dressed lol, but those challenges are consistently overcome by his unacknowledged brilliance and beauty. I love him to death and it's very rare that you find someone who you just know you're going to be friends with for life no matter what happens, no matter where you are geographically, and Kivvy is definitely one who will be stuck with me for life, lol.

Now y'all know I love my internationals! Especially international men! Give me an accent and I'll immediately go crazy, lol, ok maybe that was too much information but umm yeah that's what first ignited my friendship with Ricardo Carlos (Ricky). Then to find out that the negro, or islander (whatever you call someone from Trinidad lol), was basically married just instantly broke my heart lol. But from the moment we first met I knew we were going to be best friends because you know how you first meet someone you exchange names (that you're gonna forget later or at least I will) and you go on about your lives.....maybe you'll facebook friend them if you didn't immediately hate them lol. But NOOOOOO with Ricky tell me why we sat outside and sat on one of those hard uncomfortable Howard benches for hours in the dark probably getting eaten by bugs! Ricky reminds me a lot of Anu, except Anu is waaaaaaaaaaaay less of a diva, like seriously, lol. But just like Anu and I never agree on anything, it's similar with Ricky and I. Ricky is the rational/logical one in our friendship just like Anu is, even though I usually never admit it to either of them, lol, so I must be in an unusually good mood, lol.


Normally all you have to say is that you're from Houston, Texas and I'm instantly won over right, I mean obviously if you're from Texas than you're automatically amazing! lol. In all seriousness I love Nijeul Porter not just because of the amazing fact he's from Houston but mostly because he probably seen me at my worse and still manages not to be scared off. You know those friends who are there for you no matter what, those friends who manages to tolerate you no matter what mood you're in, no matter what you're going through, Nijeul is definitely one of those friends. He doesn't know it but Nijeul definitely continues to be an inspiration to me, his passion to succeed is incomparable and contagious. This passion also keeps him exceptionally busy doing God knows what for the theater department so I NEVER see him but every now and then he'll remember that I exist and give me a call.


Another person I don't get to see enough is Darius Holloway. He has a frustrating habit of calling me "senior citizen" lol.. well because I'm the oldest out of all my friends here. I don't have much to say about Darius though other than he's the charmer out of all my friends and will set you straight in a heart beat so don't be fooled by that charm, lol.




Tyjuane Sharpe is ghetto as hell! There is no joking about it, lol, talk about being a D.C. local lol, even though he's technically from VA but it's all the same to me. When I first met Tyjuane he couldn't stop talking about how he can dance better than Chris Brown and he sincerely believes it to the point where now I'm somewhat convinced lol. I remember when Anu visited me last year I was surprised how well Tyjuane and her clicked. Like it was something out of a sci-fi movie because they have two completely different personalities, lol. But I love him to death though, even though he stole my favorite pair of jeans and have the audacity to look better in them than I do! But if you ever heard me say "I'm so blown..." I got it from him, lol, and it means upset before y'all start imagining the wrong things lol.







And last but obviously not least is Dherek Mitchell. I miss Dherek a lot even though we argue so much whenever we are together but at least it's about important stuff. I believe our last argument was on privilege vs hard work and I probably lost every single argument lol mostly because I was out yelled lol... Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with his presence at the moment but D.C. / Howard is definitely different without him and I'm going to need him to comeback soon, I have a sense that he's going to get at me about for being a fan of Sarah Palin lol. But even though Dherek has no problem voicing his opinion, no matter how much volume it takes, lol, he is one of the most compassionate individuals I have ever met and definitely one who understands love and friendship.



So there you go everyone, these are my main friends in D.C.. There are several more but I either wasn't sure if they would object to their names being plastered all over my blog, w/ their picture, or we just need more time to develop something more meaningful. So now when I say "Nijeul and I visited the White House to turn it Black..." you'll know exactly who I'm talking about lol...

4 comments:

Dherek Leon said...

Awwwe, Micheal! I'm about to cry, you know I'm an emotional cunt lol.
I miss you guys so much, you guys are like family to me, but closer. And I do not yell! lol lies... I love you friend.

MCWJR. said...

You can sue me all you want Ricky... u won't get anything lol...and if you're not a diva then what are ya?

And Dherek I better at least see you at Homecoming or you're gonna make me take a bus up there to NY!

Diana said...

What the heck, Michael, there's no male version of me up there? What about that one who didn't mind you were playing Dave Matthews Band and said you looked good in glasses, I want that one!

MCWJR. said...

That would be Nijeul lol.. but I didn't want to make it seem like all my friends in D.C. were mere copies of my friends in Oregon lol.. but yall are very much alike... except he's all into acting and everything lol