Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Is There a Special Someone in Your Life?

I never really write about my "love life" on here frankly because people come and go so often that my close friends enjoy reminding me who all came and went, lol. That sounds absolutely horrible I know but its true. Kivvy calls me an emotional slut lol, someone who doesn't really have sex with a lot of people but does become emotionally involved with a lot. I have yet to completely agree with Kivvy but I can definitely see his point. The truth is I haven't really felt a need to be in any type of romantic relationship. I love my independence, I don't want to be defined by a relationship. When people see me I don't want them to think "so and so's boyfriend", I whether for them to see my values and what I stand for. Also, I have seen people become consumed by the need to be in a relationship, which grows into a dependency that dramatically increase their tolerance of things they wouldn't normally stand for. I wouldn't go as far and say relationships are evil but they definitely tend to transform these perfectly sound and rational individuals into mindless clones of the perception of what love supposedly is.

I do not see myself falling in love anytime soon, well for one I don't even really know what love is other than what you see on TV. I don't even know if love as we know it exist, nor do I feel the need to find out at the moment. However, one of the main questions I get from my much appreciated friends dispersed throughout Portland and Houston (and who knows where else) is "Is there a special someone in your life?" I find this question amazingly annoying considering everything that I am experiencing at Howard and in D.C. and everything that makes me who I am, one of the most important aspects of my life people want to know is my romantic/sexual involvement with another individual. Stop asking, lol. If I run into the "love of my life" and if we mutually decide to destroy our independence and get married I'm sure you will get an invitation. Although, to be honest it would be fun to just pump into the middle of Howard's campus holding hands with a guy and suddenly-uncontrollably demonstrate our passionate love for each other with an intense make-out session...I think people would die in shock, lol, and I am told we would have to run for our lives. But see I would just use a person to make a political statement, knowing me lol, so bad idea.

On other news, in response to my previous post I have been searching for ways I can be a more productive person in terms of what I can do to help reverse the many unfortunate aspects of our lives. Since my whole world apparently revolves around politics I'm applying to PAID internships, lol. Most recently I've applied to intern for the Congressional Black Caucus, y'all pray that I get this internship! I'm so serious. Although...funny story, in one of their essays they ask what do you think is the most important public policy challenge the next presidential administration should face and I argued gay civil rights! WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING YALL!!!??! Also, if I get accepted into Howard University I am going to look into starting a school funded GLBT campus-wide newspaper to help raise awareness of our culture, issues, and activities. O! I'm already excited!

But when people email/text/facebook message me let me know what you're doing, I'm for real, what are you doing in your life to make this world better for all of us? I want to know, there are no measurements of greatness, no matter how small or grand you think your action is, it can all have the same effect (or affect I get confused which one you suppose to use). So let me know! What are you doing that potentially helps someone other than yourself? :)

No comments: