Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mixed Feelings About President Obama


I am obviously excited by the election of President-elect Obama! Howard of course went crazy! The police came out in pack when I was returning to my room by the time I got done celebrating but even they were friendly and excited. But I did find something slightly disturbing as I was walking through the crowds of exceptionally excited people around Howard University, I kept hearing "my President is Black" over and over again. For some reason that hit an uncomfortable spot for me. I definitely understand the historic significance of this election but I guess it was because race was such a focus point for so many of his supporters that I found uncomfortable. When Obama won the election I was exceptionally proud to be an American. However, not just because a Black man was elected but more for the fact that it shows that we as a country are evolving, our perspectives are expanding and including more diverse ideas for what we want our country to evolve to. I am not a supported of Obama because he is Black but because he is a representation of what I ideally want America to become. If I had more time to observe Palin I probably would have supported her even more because our political views are more aligned and she too is a perspective that America needs to evolve into even more greatness.

2 comments:

Dherek Leon said...

You and that darn Palin!

MCWJR. said...

I love her! lol.. I really can't help it